- Exemplifies the RML REACH (Service Excellence) culture by demonstrating respect, excellence, appreciation, concern and honor in all interactions with patients, families and co-workers, and as identified in departmental and hospital wide behavioral expectations.
- Welcomes patients and greets visitors to the unit, offering information and help to all guests. Manages all patient care unit communications, including written, verbal, pager, telephone and fax communications. Interacts professionally and communicates clearly with patients, visitors and staff, demonstrating a positive and helpful demeanor. Demonstrates follow-through on assigned responsibilities and in spontaneous problem-solving.
- Manages the information in the patient’s medical record. Maintains confidentiality of all patient information verbally, online, and in print. Complies with all hospital policies related to computer use and system security. Complies with HIPAA guidelines. Transcribes and transmits (via paper or computer) orders and information in a thorough, accurate and timely way. Assembles, disassembles and correctly files information in the medical record.
- Promotes a safe environment for the patient by responding promptly to patient call lights and monitoring alarms, and notifies the appropriate staff member. Follows up when staff is not immediately available, to ensure that patient needs are met timely.
- Develops proficiency in Meditech and other assigned computer programs. Seeks out resources for questions and self development. Raises issues that impact effective computer system use and consistency among unit secretaries.
- Notifies appropriate departments of patient admission, transfer, and discharge; arranges patient transportation.
- Maintains, updates and completes various patient care related records, information, and reports.
- Maintains a calm, clean and orderly work environment. Relieves other unit secretaries for meals, meetings, etc., and is able to assume the work in progress at that nurses’ station.
- Collaborates with the nursing manager or director and other unit secretaries to develop improved communication systems and work processes. Identifies and reports problems, inefficiencies, and opportunities for improvement, including opportunities to improve patient safety.
- Collaborates with others as directed to ensure the timely ordering and receipt of unit supplies. Receives and assists with proper storage of unit supplies. May provide help in sorting, assembling or distributing supplies.
- Manages the processes of patient laboratory specimens; logs lab work in and out as directed; arranges for specimen pickup and transportation. Uses blood specimen centrifuge according to established procedure.
- Participates in providing orientation and training to other staff as requested.
- Actively participates in staff meetings and continuing education activities. Participates on committees or task forces and attends meetings as may be assigned. Meets all annual and ongoing employee requirements (TB testing, annual review, performance evaluation, etc.) by demonstrating completion prior to due date.
- Is responsible for supporting a safe work environment for self and others, by reporting unsafe conditions and by using applicable safe work practices and devices, such as proper body mechanics, ergonomic aids, PPE, etc. Complies with Employee Health policies regarding illness and injury reporting.
1. The interpersonal skill necessary to interact positively and professionally with patients, physicians, families and staff in a fast-paced setting. Demonstrates clear verbal and written communication skills.
2. The focus to balance multiple competing priorities in an accurate and efficient manner.
3. Demonstrated positive interpersonal skills. Ability to work well in a fast-paced, complex environment prone to frequent interruptions and distractions.
High school graduate or GED.
Basic computer skills.
Knowledge of medical terminology or completion of a medical terminology course within acceptable time frame.
Proficient skills in reading, writing and basic arithmetic.
Experience in a hospital or healthcare setting in a unit secretary or equivalent clerical or secretarial role.
Location: RML Specialty Hospital · Nursing - 4th Floor
Schedule: Full-time, Days, 7am to 7:30pm