The STEP Teacher Assistant assists the teacher by performing
instructional duties, preparing classroom materials, supervising
student behavior, learning and applying specific behavior
management techniques, performing clerical duties, administering
literacy assessments, and providing assistance with personal
hygiene and physical care needs as required. The work is performed
under the guidance and supervision of the teacher.
The work is performed under the guidance and supervision of the teacher.
- PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides individual and group instruction on activities as instructed; implements lesson plans with the teacher.
- Prepares the classroom for meals and activities, assists students on and off the bus, prepares meal counts for the cafeteria staff, and performs clerical tasks, as assigned.
- Collects data and records anecdotal student observations; record keeping and documentation for all information related to each student and family.
- In collaboration with the STEP Teacher, implements behavior modification plans in accordance with the STEP program philosophy and monitors students’ safety.
- Supports the administration of literacy assessments to students.
- Performs related work as required.
- Below are the qualifications for this position:
- High School Diploma or GED, and an Early Childhood credential required
- Experience working with preschool age children
- Experience in working with diverse cultures
- Bi-lingual preferred, but not required
- Demonstrates effective oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills
The following provides a brief description of physical requirements for this position:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly talking, expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. The employee must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly. The employee must possess normal cognitive abilities including the ability to learn, recall and apply certain practices and policies. Frequently sitting and/or remaining in a stationary position for long periods of time. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
Classified Salary Scale , Level 9
Reports to: Supervisor, Head Start and STEP Program
The School Board also recognizes and values the diversity of the students and broader community it serves and encourages diversity within its workforce.
The Loudoun County School Board is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The School Board does not discriminate against qualified applicants or employees on the basis of actual or perceived race , national origin, ancestry , color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, marital status, age, religion, disability, genetic information,veteran status or any basis protected by law.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Assistant Superintendent for Department of Human Resources and
Loudoun County Public Schools
21000 Education Court
Ashburn, VA 20148