Title: Sustainability Specialist
Employer: George Mason University
Hiring Date: Review of applications begins immediately. Anticipated start date of 3/16/20.
Classification: Temporary, Wage Employee
Virtual/Telework Available: Yes, and it is encouraged.
Length of Employment: Approximately 6 months (employment is expected to terminate upon the Office of Sustainability’s successful submission of the STARS Report prior to the end of August 2020)
Compensation: $24 per hour with the selected candidate working 20-30 hours a week. The temporary, wage employee is not permitted to work more than 1500 hours per fiscal year.
George Mason University is an exemplary public institution with three suburban campus locations (Arlington, Fairfax, and Prince William), one rural location (the Smithsonian Mason School of Conservation), and an international campus in Songdo, Korea. Mason enrolls more than 25,000 undergraduate students and more than 11,000 graduate students across various academic disciplines.
The Office of Sustainability (OoS) leverages Mason’s community strengths to provide leadership in environmental, social, and economic stewardship on campus and in the global communities in which Mason is actively involved. The OoS is staffed by a Sustainability Director who supervises four Sustainability Program Managers, each with their own area of concentration (Campus Efficiencies, Education and Outreach, Greenhouse and Gardens, Patriot Green Fund). With the OoS leading the way, Mason is committed to achieving carbon neutrality by 2050 while remaining true to its vision: to be a university for the world.
George Mason University’s Office of Sustainability is excited to announce the immediate opening of a temporary, Sustainability Specialist position. Supervised by the Sustainability Director and working in close collaboration with the Sustainability Program Manager team, the Sustainability Specialist is responsible for collecting, reviewing, analyzing, and communicating information pertinent to Mason’s 2020 AASHE STARS submission.
Typical Duties and Responsibilities
- Collect data and information pertinent to AASHE STARS from various internal and external resources including faculty, staff, and students using email, phone, and video conferencing.
- Analyze simple and complex quantitative and qualitative data.
- Write detailed reports, summaries, and generate easy-to-read graphs, charts, and visual aids.
- Respond to requests and directions from the OoS Director and Sustainability Program Managers.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental or sustainability sciences or related field as well as 1-3 years of related experience in environmentalism, sustainability, environmental analysis, sustainability project management, etc. Combinations of education and related experience will be considered.
- Strong understanding of AASHE STARS Reporting and previous experience working on STARS Reporting.
- Previous project management experience including a demonstrated ability to complete multi-tiered projects.
- Strong organizational skills including a demonstrated ability to work on a variable timeline.
- Effective written and verbal communication.
- Effective use of technology and associated peripherals including but not limited to desktop and/or laptop/tablet, keyboard, mouse, microphone, and phone.
- Effective use of computer software programs such as Microsoft Office Suite, video conferencing programs such as WebEx, and others.
- Previous sustainability work experience in higher education.
- Experience collecting, analyzing, and synthesizing quantitative and qualitative data.
- Experience communicating complex information in easily understandable ways using engaging writing, graphs, etc.
- Experience using information systems, computer software programs such as Sightlines and other energy and sustainability tracking/reporting programs, and others to analyze and summarize data.
Please submit a cover letter and resume. In your cover letter, please include your availability as well as how you meet or exceed the required qualifications.
Applications reviewed as received. Priority review deadline to begin on March 1st, 2020. Position is open until filled. Anticipated start date of March 16th, 2020.
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $24.00 /hour
- One location
- Fully Remote
Hours per week:
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused
- Outcome-oriented -- results-focused with strong performance culture
- People-oriented -- supportive and fairness-focused
- Team-oriented -- cooperative and collaborative
- Monday to Friday