To be considered for this position, you must apply online through the City of Arlington website at: https://cityofarlington.csod.com/ats/careersite/JobDetails.aspx?site=1&id=534
THIS POSITION WILL CLOSE ON 9/22/2019.
SALARY: 53,030.00 - 66,287.00 Salary USD
Under general supervision reviews all plans and plats of commercial and residential buildings and development for fire protection systems to ensure compliance with City ordinances, International Fire and Building Code, International Fire and Building Code standards, NFPA Standards and other State and nationally recognized standards.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Ability to review all plans and plats for commercial and
residential buildings and development, fire sprinkler systems,
standpipes, fire detection/alarm systems, fixed fire suppression
systems, underground storage tank and line installations, LPG
installations, and water main/hydrant engineering drawings for
compliance with City ordinances, International Fire and Building
Code, International Fire and Building Code Standards, NFPA
Standards and other State and nationally recognized standards.
2. Ability to prepare written correspondence concerning plan review requirements, analyze responses for code compliance and authorize release of permits.
3. Ability to communicate effectively with other City departments, developers, architects, engineers, contractors and owners to analyze fire protection requirements, address questions and resolve differences.
4. Ability to coordinate plan review, construction and Certificate of Occupancy activities and resources as well as coordinating with other City departments on construction and Certificate of Occupancy issues.
OTHER JOB FUNCTIONS:
5. Ability to witness acceptance tests of fire sprinkler
systems, fire alarm systems, as well as other fire protection
systems and conduct Fire Code compliance inspections.
6. Ability to maintain and update files, records and logs of plan review and construction activities on computerized and manual record-keeping systems.
7. Ability to assist in the design, development and maintenance of a computer system to track plans, permits and construction projects.
8. Ability to perform related duties such as public education, career awareness programs, providing technical assistance to Fire Department personnel, and instruction in City-sponsored classes as well as State, regional and local Fire Academies.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of the International Fire and Building Codes and Standards as well as other nationally recognized standards, fire behavior, various types of fixed fire protection/detection systems technology.
- Knowledge of regulations relating to hazardous materials and processes.
- Knowledge of the concepts and symbols used in mathematical calculations involving fractions, percentages and decimals, including hydraulic calculations.
- Skill in understanding and applying basic mechanical concepts.
- Skill in prioritizing and utilizing time management techniques as well as organizing and managing information.
- Skill in reading and interpreting blueprints and construction documents.
- Skill in communicating ideas effectively in writing and orally in group and/or individual settings.
- Ability to work successfully with people and negotiate through difficult situations.
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and make fine discriminations in sound.
- Ability to research new processed and technology.
- Ability to occasionally work evening shifts and weekends as required.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical skills including but not limited to seeing, sorting, carrying, calculating, writing and climbing to and from extreme heights.
- Ability to lift or exert forces equivalent to lifting up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment including but not limited to personal computer, calculator, two-way radio, flow test gauges, sound meter and telephone.
- Ability to operate a motorized vehicle.
Qualifying Education and Experience:
Bachelors degree in Fire Science or related field and 3 years experience in working with plans and plats of commercial and residential buildings and development for fire protection systems. Understanding and compliance with City ordinances, International Fire and Building Code, International Fire and Building Code standards, NFPA Standards and other State and nationally recognized standards. Ability to obtain a Basic fire Inspector's certification within one year of being employed.
Must successfully complete criminal background check, MVR and drug and alcohol testing.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $53,030.00 to $66,287.00 /year