ABOUT THE MARICOPA COUNTY RECORDER'S OFFICE:
The Maricopa County Recorder's office, is responsible for recording all documents required by law to be made public record, including documents related to real-estate transactions. Since August of 1999, we have accepted documents electronically and currently, over 83% of all documents are submitted this way. We continue to remain at the forefront of e-government. Data including our first recording on June 5, 1871, can be located on our website. Additionally, the Recorder's office oversees the voter registration process, documentation and administration for the County's 2.2 million voters and it plans a management role overseeing early voting, ballot by mail and other elections processes and administration. We are proud of the many awards and recognition we have received and that we are considered by many to be the premier recording and elections administration office in the country.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
The Public Information Officer (PIO) develops, organizes, and coordinates public relations, community education and information programs to inform and assist management in public relations and information activities. This position establishes and maintains contact with community groups and county officials to meet the departments public outreach goals.
We recognize your time is valuable, so please apply if you
meet the following required qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree Communications, Journalism, Public Relations, Political Science, Public Administration or a related field.
- Three (3) years of professional public relations, communications and/or community education and outreach experience.
Combined education and experience:
- Equivalent combinations of education and/or communications/public relations experience may be considered in substitution for the minimum qualifications.
- Strong writing skills and knowledge of journalistic writing style.
- Experience using social media marketing strategies and the ability to create social media content.
- Must be eligible to vote in Arizona and successfully complete the next scheduled Secretary of State Election Officer Certification.
- Must possess, or have the ability to obtain by the time of hire, a valid Arizona driver's license.
- Must complete a thorough background screening.
Our Preferred Candidate has:
- Recent work samples of Graphic design, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign experience and knowledge of video editing.
- Experience working on elections communications, outreach, policy or administration issues and/or experience working in a government agency.
- Executive-level professional communications work which is broad, diverse and complex in nature.
- Ability to fluently speak, read and write in Spanish.
- Experience marketing information to legislatures, board officials, businesses, community action groups, nonprofit organizations, internal and external organizational stakeholders, and citizens at large.
- Experience creating and/or managing advertising and other paid communication programs.
- Working knowledge of the Maricopa-county media industry and established relationships with professionals within that industry.
- Supervisory experience.
- Assists in the development and execution of strategies to promote the agency's message and information to the public via earned and social media, as well as through paid advertising campaigns.
- Researches, writes, and coordinates design of direct marketing materials (press releases, mailers, flyers, newsletters, etc.) for internal and external distribution.
- Manages and responds to requests by media representatives for interviews and information.
- Develops content for departmental social media sites and department web site.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating information for the public and media representatives, and ensures information is relevant, reachable, informative and current.
- Writes scripts and/or presentations for the purpose of marketing agency programs and services.
- Works within agency budget and monitors expenditures while providing quality marketing products.
- Works collaboratively with representatives of other agencies, both public and private, concerning agency programs and activities.
- Coaches and prepares elected official and staff with subject matter expertise on interview skills.
- Occasionally serves as media relations spokesperson or liaison for agency.
- May direct the work of staff.
Working at a desk in an environmentally controlled office with the occasional need for travel within the county.
Maricopa County is an EEO/ADA Reasonable Accommodation Employer.