Specific duties include:
- Conducting tests in the areas of Biochemical Oxygen Demand (BOD5), Total suspend solids (TSS), Nitrate, Total Phosphorus, Ammonia Nitrogen and Total Kjeldahl Nitrogen (TKN);
- Performing chemical and biological analyses on permit and process samples (e.g., E-coli, bacteriology testing) to meet the Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (VPDES) permit requirements as mandated by state and federal law; including quality control checks;
- Performing safety checks including inspecting lab safety equipment and first aid kit, and checking safety showers and eye wash stations;
- Preparing chemicals and reagents and maintaining laboratory inventory;
- Calibrating and maintaining instruments and equipment;
- Reviewing test results for inaccuracies and/or irregularities from the lab and field;
- Reviewing operator data reports daily;
- Preparing required logs, test records, reports and other documentation; and
- Participating in internal and external training to learn new techniques and maintain current skills.
Minimum: Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry, Biology, or
other directly related science, plus one year of experience
performing routine/wet chemistry testing in an environmental
laboratory. See Special Requirements section below.
Substitution: Additional qualifying experience may substitute for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
Desirable: Preference may be given to candidates with experience in one or more of the following:
- Using Word, Excel, Sharepoint and/or data base programs for laboratory Information Management Systems; and/or
- Performing instrumental analysis using Lachat/Flow Injection Analysis, advanced auto analyzer equipment, spectrophotometers or other designated advanced testing instrument.
By the end of the 12-month probationary period, the employee
must pass all Demonstration of Capability (DOC) tests for analysis
performed, as required by the laboratory program established for
Certified Wastewater Laboratories.
Additional external licensure and/or certifications may be required.
Work Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through
Friday. Some weekend work is required.
The official title of this position is Chemist Technologist.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached; however, it will not substitute for the completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are required for this position. Please do not give "see resume" as a response to the questions. Incomplete applications will not be considered.