Close date: 12/1/2019
Salary: $5454 - $7982 monthly
Location: Portland, OR
The Oregon Health Authority (OHA), Public Health Division (PHD), HIV, STD and TB (HST) Section in Portland, OR is recruiting for anHIV/STD/TB Epidemiologist The HIV, STD and TB (HST) Section is committed to early identification and response to health events through surveillance and epidemiologic studies, intervention, education and direct preventive action. HST programs serve all Oregonians and work directly with local health departments, private physicians, other health care providers, community-based organizations, and other state agencies.
What will you do?
As the HIV/STD/TB Epidemiologist, you will act as the primary epidemiologist for Oregon’s initiative to eliminate new HIV infections, called ‘End HIV Oregon’. You will act as the primary epidemiologist working across programs and agencies to advance HIV, STD, TB public health modernization goals in Oregon. You will provide epidemiologic surge and emergency capacity to prevent the transmission of communicable disease. This work includes the following activities:
· Working independently to manage complex projects linking the work of multiple epidemiologists. Independently lead studies. Write reports and present findings.
· Participating in ending the epidemics planning, capacity building and lead presentations and training to external partners such as corrections, housing and Tribal governments to advance goals.
· Leading cross-sectional analysis, developing reports and presenting information to drive policy and intervention development.
· Coordinating HST response to the data required for the State Health Improvement Plan, State Health Assessment and/or public health modernization.
· Leading HST dissemination planning across the section with HST medical director to ensure alignment with program goals and objectives.
· Leading analysis to drive emergency planning and intervention development.
· Participating in and leading relevant aspects of HST response to outbreaks and emerging public health events.
· Providing local onsite and remote epidemiologic support in the event of local health jurisdiction transfer, outbreak or emergency.
· Providing training and consultation on the syndemic factors that interact to exacerbate the transmission of sexually transmitted infection and HIV and the social, environmental and ecological factors that increase risk and disparities in Oregon.
· Making presentations on complex communicable disease data and investigations at state, regional and national meetings.
· Prepare articles for publication.
What's in it for you?
You will work with a team of public health professionals who are passionate about the work they do to keep drinking water safe for Oregonians. Are you an epidemiologist with experience in HIV, STD and TB? Do you have experience with Tableau? If so, we want to connect with you!
What are we looking for?
· Minimum qualifications: a master's degree in public health or a related field and four years of epidemiological or public health experience of which one year must have been in a clinical epidemiological capacity.
· Experience communicating highly technical information concisely and clearly to a variety of audiences in consultation and formal training settings.
· Experience gathering data from multiple sources, facts, interpreting them, and making recommendations based upon those facts.
· Experience applying routine biostatistical techniques to the analysis of epidemiologic data.
· Experience evaluating epidemiologic data to develop valid interpretations of the data.
· Experience working with a variety of people with differing levels of technical knowledge to achieve efficient and reliable completion of epidemiologic studies and to carry out effective communicable disease control measures.
· Experience designing and maintenance of surveillance systems to monitor the occurrence of disease or other health events.
· Experience writing scientific reports of investigations and special studies.
· Experience with Tableau software to develop and maintain End HIV Oregon Dashboard(s) and data reports.
· Experience conducting outbreak investigations and other epidemiologic studies.
· Experience provide technical consultation to local health department staff and other agency personnel.
· Experience in advancing health equity, addressing systemic health disparities and collaborating with diverse, vulnerable and underrepresented populations.
How to Apply
Complete the online application – internal applicants apply through Workday; external applicants apply at the following link: https://oregon.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/SOR_External_Career_Site/job/Portland--Oregon-Street---OHA/HIV-STD-TB-Epidemiologist--Epidemiologist-3-_REQ-25646
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $5,454.00 to $7,982.00 /month
- Epidemiology: 4 years (Required)
- Master's (Required)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance