The Montessori Lab School is seeking an Assistant to work in our Elementary classroom (mixed-age classroom of children ages 6-12). A classroom assistant works with the guide to prepare and maintain an orderly, attractive, safe and joyful environment. The assistant provides another pair of observant, attentive eyes and ears. Classroom assistants are crucial in modeling courteous and respectful behavior as well as contributing to the warm, supportive and calm atmosphere that is the hallmark of AMI classrooms.
AMI Elementary training is a plus but not required.
The Montessori Lab School enthusiastically welcomes Spanish speaking candidates.
This is a nine-month position (August - May) and the hours are 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. each day.
The ideal candidate:
- Has experience working with children
- Loves working alongside elementary children
- Is creative, organized and consistent
- Has a strong work-ethic
- Communicates clearly when speaking and in writing
- Is a strong team player
- Works well with a strong parent community
- Is curious, loves to have fun and learn new things
- Has a bachelor’s degree in education or a related field
- Has experience working in an AMI classroom
The Role of the Classroom Assistant
- Collaborates with and supports the Guide in cultivating the classroom culture and in serving the children.
- Prepares and maintains the classroom environment
- Models respect, a love for learning, grace and courtesy
- Oversees the classroom to ensure that children are engaged in purposeful/meaningful endeavors which also allows the Guide to deliver lessons to children with ease.
- Creates opportunities for the children to develop independence
- Cleans and disinfects surfaces regularly throughout the day
- Manages the children when the Guide is working with the other cohort
- Conducts arrival and departure health screenings for children
- Supervises regular handwashing
Pay is commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $12.00 to $15.00 /hour
- 8 Hour Shift
- Monday to Friday
- Bachelor's (Preferred)