Join our team for our 2020 season as a Deckhand!
As a Deckhand with American Cruise Lines you will be trusted with the opportunity to assist in boat operations including helm, gangway, and security watches. You will be part of an important team maintaining and cleaning the boat while also assisting with key guest services such as laundry, garbage, and luggage. Our Deckhand role provides opportunities and responsibilities throughout marine operations. In this role you will work alongside our seasoned Captains and Mates to help keep the ship operating smoothly and safely. Deckhands also have a high level of guest interaction and are expected to provide our guests with exceptional service at all time.
Joining our team will give you an in-depth view of the cruise industry as you live and work aboard one of our ships within the fleet. With 12 ships and 35 itineraries we offer the opportunity to travel to some of the most scenic and iconic places across the country. This position is an ideal way to build sea time for a captain or engineer license.
Within your role as a Deckhand you will be part of ourMaritime Milestone Program which is our rewards and recognition program that will help you reach your maximum potential. This is a 28-week temporary employment program that will recognize you for each of your achievements on board as your experience and sea time builds, including bonuses, pay raises, and onshore adventures.
This role is crucial to the success of our shipboard operations and we will provide you with the education and training in order for you to be successful both personally and professionally.
- Assist the Captain and Mate in the maneuvering and steering of the vessel
- Participate in docking operations including handling lines, gangways, anchors, etc.
- Standing watches: gangway and deck watch which include security, maintenance, and passenger assistance duties
- Loading and unloading passenger luggage, ship stores, etc.
- Maintenance of the ships which includes painting and cleaning the docks and public areas
- Lifting lines and other heavy objects
- Maintain excellent customer service and positive attitude toward all guests and crew members
- Various additional duties relating to the navigation and handling of the ship
- High school graduate
- At least 18 years of age
- Physically strong, with stamina to work long hours
- Well-groomed and clean appearance
- Friendly and outgoing interpersonal skills
- Strong communication skills and the desire to learn
- College experience preferred
- US Citizenship or legally authorized to work in the United States
- Ability to clearly speak and write the English Language
- TWIC Preferred - Click here for information on how to obtain your TWIC
- Pre-Employment Drug Test: Under Federal Law and the Department of Transportation we are required to pre-employment drug test all shipboard employees. This includes testing for Marijuana and other controlled substances. We are also an alcohol free company.
- Earn Money
- Minimal Expenses – your living expenses are all covered while onboard. It’s a dormitory-style environment.
- Travel the Country - We visit 30 states on our different cruises and travel through the most beautiful areas in our country.
- Maritime and Hospitality Experience – This is a strong foundation for a career in the hospitality industry and a way to build your sea time for a license.
- Upward Mobility – After your rotation, you may apply for full time roles in either shipboard management or corporate positions.
About Our Company: American Cruise Lines operates the newest and largest fleet of cruise ships in the United States. We offer a number of shipboard positions which provide the opportunity to cruise the most captivating destinations in the country including the East Coast, Mississippi River, Pacific Northwest, and Alaska. Take advantage of this opportunity to join a thriving company with over 30 years of experience. Create lasting memories on board, while exploring the beauty of America’s waterways.
To learn more about employment with American Cruise Lines including our Training for Success Program and life on board visit www.aclcareers.com.