The custodian provides students with a clean, attractive, healthy, and safe building
the environment in which to learn and work.
High School Diploma or equivalency
Valid Driver’s License
Must have access to transportation
Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy on Evaluation.
Head Custodian and Lead Supervisor
Terms of Employment:
This is a full-time 12-month position. Hourly pay and benefits as established by the Board of Education.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Communicates, collaborates, and cooperates with colleagues, supervisors, and students.
- Assumes responsibility for the appearances and function of assigned building and grounds.
- Completes cleaning schedule for the areas assigned within the frequency requirements provided, including, but not limited to, hallways, offices, classrooms, restrooms, etc.
- Performs daily cleaning and custodial tasks as may be necessary to ensure a clean, safe, attractive, and healthy environment conducive to learning and working that includes, but not limited to, dusting, mopping, taking out the trash, and sweeping.
- Sets up and takes down school equipment such as cafeteria tables and other building setups to support events during the day.
- Assures the building is ready to open each morning or close each night, which includes checking security, and the raising, and lowering of the flag, etc.
- Assists in securing supply deliveries.
- Follows appropriate procedures during fire, tornado and other emergency drills.
- Reports repairs needed in the building to the head custodian.
- Performs other miscellaneous work essential to the welfare of the occupants of the school building.
- Completes work assignments in a conscientious and timely manner, meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrates attention to details and routines.
- Handles information related to the school in a confidential manner and adheres to that respect by not divulging any personal information, unless approved by the supervisor.
- Attends and participates in training opportunities including but not limited to in-service days, department meetings, building meeting, committees, conferences, etc.
- Performs such other duties or services as assigned that relate to custodial services, maintenance, and general building operations as assigned by the Director of Facilities, Lead Supervisor or designated representative.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must be self-motivated and flexible in day-to-day assignments
- Must have the ability and willingness to establish professional relationships with co-workers
- Must have the ability and willingness to follow oral and written instructions
- Must Demonstrate good and clear communication skills, both written and oral
The physical demands of this position include frequent standing or walking for extended periods of time. The employee may occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 50 pounds. Repetitive bending at the waist as well as kneeling, stooping, crouching to assist is also required. Employees may reach overhead as well as above the shoulders and horizontally.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
This job description is intended to describe minimum qualifications and duties and responsibilities performed by employees assigned to this position and is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The District reserves the right to amend and change the position responsibilities to meet District needs as necessary.