This position collects, analyzes and disseminates accurate and timely crime statistics and other information to assist departmental personnel in the performance of their duties; and performs related work as required. The incumbent works according to some procedures but decides how or when to do things; work is reviewed regularly by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Gathers information regarding criminal activities and trends from a variety of sources, including incident reports, SLED reports, and state and national crime reports;
- Researches and identifies patterns in criminal activity to project trends;
- Develops and test crime prediction and resource allocation statistical models;
- Enters data into the computer; analyzes data and prepares daily, weekly monthly and special reports for the department, City and other agencies as required;
- Receives and responds to in-house and external requests for statistical data and other department information;
- Assists in monitoring gang activity;
- Establishes and maintains an effective record-keeping system;
- Performs other general administrative / clerical work, including but not limited to copying and filing documents, sending and receiving faxes, answering the telephone, etc.;
- Assists in training new employees as assigned;
- Attends training, meetings, seminars, etc., as required to enhance job knowledge and skills; and
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS TO PERFORM WORK:
- Associate’s degree in business, data processing or closely related field;
- Three (3) years of relevant prior experience;
- Valid South Carolina Class “D” Driver’s License.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS:The work is considered sedentary in nature and involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a regular and recurring basis, and routine keyboard operations.