To assist the Food Service Manager in providing nutritious, well-prepared meals, which are served to all campers, staff, and guests for the summer and possible weekend(s) in the fall.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist in the daily operations of the camp’s food service.
- Prepare and cook food as the menu indicates utilizing frying, boiling, broiling, steaming, roasting of meat, poultry, seafood, fish, vegetables, salads, soups, and gravies.
- Prepare foods including washing and peeling.
- Bake breads, pastries, muffins, etc.
- Set up food, supplies, and utensils for dining hall distribution.
- Store food and leftovers at proper temperature.
- Assist in routine sanitation of the kitchen and related equipment.
- Clean and maintain all food-preparation and storage areas.
- Supervise the cleaning of prep, serving, and dining hall dishes.
- Reduce waste, reuse items, and recycle as indicated through the camp’s procedures.
- Work as a member of a food service team.
- Coordinate schedule and job tasks with other cooks, dining hall manager, and kitchen assistants.
- Assist with supervising or directing the work of the kitchen assistants.
Other Job Duties:
Be aware and assist preparing for special diets, food allergies, health related diets and learning the needs of our clients.
Cooks have a designated relationship with their supervisors and the food service managers, and through them may relate directly or indirectly to program staff and counselors related to integration of the food service in the mission and program goals of the camp. Cooks will often have direct communication with the health director related to dietary needs of campers and staff.
Industrial Dishwasher, Mixers, food processors, meat slicers, Convection Oven, and other standard kitchen utensils and equipment.
Qualifications: (Minimum Education and Experience)
- Experience in institutional or food service setting.
- Desire to work in the food service area.
- Knowledge of standards of food preparation and serving, storage of food, and kitchen procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of current health and safety laws and practices is essential.
- Knowledge of and experience in preparation of special dietary foods including vegetarian foods.
- Knowledge of food service sanitation.
- Experience with supply and portion consistency.
- Self-sufficient and able to follow instructions.
Physical Aspects of the Job:
- Ability to lift and carry 50 pounds including unloading food, supplies, and equipment as needed.
- Visual and auditory ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards of the site and facilities and camper and staff behavior.
- Physical ability to operate kitchen equipment according to safe, recommended methods.
- Physical mobility and endurance to perform tasks while standing/walking for long periods of time
- Ability to provide first aid and to assist campers and staff in an emergency.
- Determine cleanliness of dishes, food surfaces, and kitchen area.
- Ability to assess condition of food.
White Memorial Camp Management Group, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, White Memorial Camp complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training
Job Types: Part-time, Temporary
Salary: $9.00 to $11.00 /hour
- Food Preparation: 3 years (Required)
- cook: 1 year (Required)
- customer service: 1 year (Required)
- restaurant: 1 year (Preferred)
- Dietary Department: 1 year (Preferred)
- Food Handler (Required)
- Other forms
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
- Prepare all food items as directed in a sanitary and timely manner
- Follow recipes and presentation specifications
- Operate standard kitchen equipment safety and efficiently
- Clean and maintain station in practicing good safety and sanitation
- Assist with the cleaning and organization of kitchen and equipment
- Restock items as needed throughout the shift
- Adhere to all sanitation and food production codes
- Employer-supplied hairnets and gloves
- Employer-supplied uniform
- Sleeveless shirts/tank tops not allowed
- Shorts, skirts not allowed
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a high school diploma/GED
- A “Fair Chance” job (you or the employer follow Fair Chance hiring practices when performing background checks - learn more at https://start.indeed.com/fair-chance)
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A job for which all ages, including older job seekers, are encouraged to apply
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
- Monday to Friday
- Weekends required
- Day shift
- On call