The Engineering Department is looking for a Construction Inspector who is capable of performing detailed Inspections and reporting construction activities to their supervisor to ensure that procedures and materials comply with approved plans and all related specifications. The ideal candidate is knowledgeable of testing of utility lines (vacuum, mandrel, low pressure and hydro-static tests on water and sanitary, storm lines). S/he has the ability to answer questions from contractors, engineering firms, and City employees concerning plans and specifications. As well as ensure compliance with regulations governing construction (City of Pearland, TCEQ, TxDot, and Federal).
The daily functions of the Construction Inspector includes:
- Regular and timely attendance at work is required. Normal work hours are Monday Friday 7:30am to 4:30 pm (1-hour lunch). Must be able to work extensive hours as needed, weekends, nights, and emergencies.
- Observing work in progress to ensure that procedures and materials used by the contractor conform to City of Pearland Specifications and Details.
- Measuring distances, dimensions, alignment and levels of installations to verify accuracy of work.
- Maintaining a daily log of construction and Inspection activity.
- Communicating with Supervisors, City employees, Engineering firms and contractors to answer questions and assist with concerns and help resolve problems.
- Attending and participates pre-construction meetings.
- Observing and documenting results of standard tests on water lines, sanitary sewers, force mains, and manholes.
- Contributing to the "Team Effort" by performing other duties "As Assigned".
The ideal candidate will have:
- A minimum 5 years of related experience in construction Inspection.
- Preference given to related construction / Inspection certifications (see below).
- Approved education / credentials may be substituted for some experience.
- NPDES Certified Storm Water Inspector desired or required to obtain in 12 months.
- American Concrete Institute (ACI) Field Grade 1 desired or able to obtain in 12 months.
- High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Valid, Class C Texas Driver's License required.