This is varied secretarial, customer service, data entry and record keeping position with work including many aspects of the building and trade permit process, code inspection and enforcement coordination process, and numerous aspects of code enforcement data and billing information processes. Employees perform a wide variety of complex tasks which require the application of independent judgment, accuracy, and timeliness, including data entry; preparation of various certificates, building and trades permits, and service requests; trash referrals; centralized inspection scheduling; assisting customers, processing of payments, maintenance of property records; assisting with billing questions; processing of Freedom of Information Act requests; attending meetings and preparing meeting minutes when needed; and performing related work as required.
- Primary responsibility to assist the public on the phone and/or at the front counter;
- Receives cash payments, check payments and credit card payments, and accounts for all payment receipts and balances accounts daily;
- Processes permit applications;
- Compiles code enforcement data as developed and submitted by inspectors and technical staff; Arranges, tabulates, and collates data for reports;
- Enters, routes and updates data for code enforcement activities including trash, curb lawn violations and weeds, including monitoring the complaint line(s);
- Assists customers with billing questions;
- Maintains detailed computerized files and records, and tracks progress through various data bases;
- Assists inspection staff with scheduling and coordination of enforcement activity;
- Schedules appointments and inspections;
- Types correspondence, miscellaneous forms, reports, and statistical data;
- Proofreads data entries and documents for accuracy;
- Copies inspection and enforcement notices, assures distribution and mailing of notices;
- Operates various offices machines, including computers; maintains the central files;
- Sorts and distributes the daily mail;
- Monitors and replenishes office supplies; and performs related work as required.
- Considerable knowledge of business English, spelling, punctuation, and arithmetic;
- Good knowledge of office practices, procedures, and computer data entry;
- Strong typing skills; ability to rapidly acquire knowledge of municipal policies and procedures, and to apply this knowledge to work situations;
- Ability to understand, initiate, and carry out complex oral and written instruction; and
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with customers and staff.
Completion of course work in secretarial science, business
practices and computers, including at least two years' experience
in secretarial-record-keeping or general office work;
Skilled in typing and computer data entry, graduation from a high school; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the essential knowledge, skills, and abilities.