Cambridge Public Schools (CPS) is a diverse urban school district enrolling approximately 7,000 students in grades pre-kindergarten through high school. The district has twelve elementary schools, four upper schools, and one comprehensive high school, which includes a school of vocational and technical arts.
The Central Administrative Offices of CPS will open in a brand new facility during the fall of 2019. Visitors to Central Administration will include CPS teachers, staff, students, families, prospective employees, community-based partners, and members of the general public. This position will provide a reliable, knowledgeable, welcoming, and culturally-proficient point of contact for visitors to the building. This position will also provide clerical support for aspects of the district’s parent information and community relations efforts. This position will report to the Communications Manager and be based at the CPS Central administration building.
- Serve as district receptionist, assisting and directing visitors to the Central Administration building with attention to cultural proficiency, customer service, and general safety standards.
- Provide clerical support for district community relations activities including assistance with coordination of public meeting and event logistics and translation and interpretation services.
- Schedule and send district emails, robocalls and text messages and monitor the CPS inbox for emailed responses and general inquiries.
- Using scripts and troubleshooting guides, and with technical support from the Communications Manager, ICTS, and other operational departments, assist in responding to technical assistance requests for online parent tools and systems.
- Maintain financial procedures including processing service agreements and timesheets, generating requisitions and obtaining purchase orders in order to place orders with vendors.
- Ensure complete and accurate record-keeping (purchase orders, vendor files, contracts, etc.).
- While this position will not manage a primary phone line, the position will provide backup phone coverage to the Superintendent’s assistant during lunch periods and at other designated times during the day.
- Serve as a point of contact for facilities-related questions from Central Administration staff - making calls to custodial or maintenance staff, as needed.
- Coordinate backup mailroom coverage when the mailroom staff member is not in the office.
- Provide project assistance to various central offices, as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma and at least 2 years of experience in a receptionist, clerical, outreach, or customer service role. Clear communication skills in person, over email, and over the phone. Computer skills; experience with Google Office including Google Docs, Google Sheets and Google Forms preferred. Experience assisting non-English speakers and ability to provide culturally-proficient customer service within a diverse workplace and community. Ability to prioritize and multitask while maintaining good-natured calm during busy moments and unexpected interruptions. Must be reliable in attendance and project a professional and helpful attitude and demeanor at all times.
Ideal candidates will possess one or more of the following preferred (but not required) qualifications:
- Knowledge of Cambridge Public Schools and/or the community of Cambridge
- Experience managing email inquiries and forwarding to other departments as necessary while answering common questions
- Bilingual (especially Spanish, Haitian Creole, Amharic or Arabic)