Wiley is a provider of content-enabled solutions that improve outcomes in research, education, and professional practice. Our core businesses produce scientific, technical, medical, and scholarly journals, reference works, books, database services, and advertising; professional books, subscription products, certification and training services and online applications and education content and services including integrated online teaching and learning resources for undergraduate and graduate students and lifelong learners. The company’s headquarters are located in Hoboken, New Jersey, with operations in the U.S., Europe, Asia, Australia, and Canada.
Hoboken, NJ or Medford, MA
The Interdisciplinary Brands team at Wiley has an opening for an
Assistant Editor position with a Ph.D. or equivalent experience in
energy studies, environment and sustainability, or a related
discipline for its portfolio of award-winning encyclopedic review
journals in the physical and life sciences.
This position will be based in either Hoboken, NJ or Medford, MA
and will report to the Publisher of the portfolio. This position
will oversee the daily management of several commissioning
publications, working with editorial boards to ensure they are
published on time and meet high technical standards, while growing
article output. We seek a subject matter expert who will be able to
commission special issues and perform other tasks suitable for a
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
- Serve as managing editor, in charge of commissioning targets for external (mostly academic) editors, coordinating special issues, and maintaining high quality editorial boards.
- Act as a facilitator, as well as the primary liaison, between authors, reviewers, and editors for all phases of the article workflow, including commissioning, submission, peer-review, production, and marketing.
- In collaboration with the Publisher, work on initiatives to improve the author, reviewer, and editor experience and workflows.
- Facilitate and support miscellaneous and journal-specific projects within the Interdisciplinary Brands team.
- Networking: represent the portfolio within the researcher
community, including travel to scientific conferences.
Applicants for the position should have a broad interest in
scientific publishing and communication, be self-motivated, have
excellent organizational and communication skills (written and
verbal), and be diplomatic and flexible.
Applicants should send in their full CV with a cover letter
describing their suitability for the post.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
- PhD or equivalent experience in energy studies, environment and sustainability, or a related discipline
- Excellent organizational and negotiation skills
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Good networking skills and business acumen
- Strong presentation/public speaking and ability to engage with internationally-renowned editors and authors
- Highly self-motivated, achievement and team oriented
- Excellent command of the English language
- Knowledge of the Science, Technology and Medicine (STM) journals publishing market, peer-review, community, trends, competitors, and authors is highly desirable
- Editorial history with academic journal publishing models a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Office 365 a plus
- Authorization to live and work in the United States
WHAT YOU’LL GET IN RETURN
- Experience in many different aspects of publishing, such as the acquisition and development of journal content, production and author marketing, financial management, and contact with colleagues, editors, authors, and reviewers from all over the world
- Working in an environment that spans across different cultures and develops people both personally and professionally
- Competitive pay and incentive program, outstanding benefits
- Fast-paced, intellectually-challenging professional environment
- Opportunities for internal advancement
- Generous Paid Time Off policy
People have always been valued at Wiley. We work
collaboratively, enjoy what we do, and have opportunities to
develop throughout our careers. And the rewards are impressive.
Which means you can look forward to a competitive salary and
benefits, generous paid time off, colleague discounts, and wellness
Wiley is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. We
evaluate qualified applicants and treat all applicants and
employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin,
disability, protected veteran status, or based on any individual’s
status in any group or class protected by applicable federal, state
or local laws.
Although we appreciate your interest only those candidates with whom we are interested in interviewing will be contacted.