- Job family (Series)
0679 Medical Support Assistance
RequirementsRequirements Conditions of Employment
QualificationsTo qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement05/04/2020
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- You may be required to serve a probationary period
- Subject to a background/security investigation
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- English Language Proficiency. MSAs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j
Specialized Experience: One year of specialized experience in an advanced or complex clinical setting utilizing numerous advanced patient care systems, scheduling appointments across multiple clinics and coordination of serves amongst a diverse team of medical providers and clinics to include outside agencies. Advanced knowledge of the technical health care processes, policy and procedures as it relates to coordination of care.
Candidates must demonstrate the KSAs below:
1. Ability to collaborate and communicate with a wide range of medical clinicians across multiple disciplines (e.g. medical doctors, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, clinical pharmacists, and nursing staff) to accomplish team goal setting to ensure medical care to patients is met.
2. Ability to independently set priorities and organize work to meet deadlines, ensuring compliance with established processes, policies, and regulations.
3. Ability to communicate tactfully and effectively, electronically, by phone, in person, and in writing, with internal and external customers. This may include preparing reports in various formats and presenting data to various organizational levels, as well as resolving patient concerns.
4. Advanced knowledge of the technical health care process (including, but not limited to, scheduling across interdisciplinary coordinated care delivery and/or care in the community models and patient health care portals) as it relates to access to care.
5. Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures associated with interdisciplinary coordinated care delivery and/or care in the community operational activities that affect patient flow, and patient support care administrative functions to include, but not limited to appointment cycles, outside patient referrals, follow-up care, overbooking, provider availability, etc.
6. Advanced knowledge of medical terminology due to the technical nature of language utilized by clinicians.
References: VA Handbook 5005/53, Part II, Appendix G45, Medical Support Assistant Qualification Standard, GS-679. Published August 1, 2019.
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-6.
Physical Requirements: The work is mostly sedentary, but may require periods of standing and walking.Education
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.Additional information
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
If you are unable to apply online view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.Background checks and security clearanceSecurity clearance
Not RequiredDrug test required
NoPosition sensitivity and risk
Non-sensitive (NS)/Low RiskTrust determination process
Required DocumentsRequired Documents
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), etc.
- Separation Notice (RIF)
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Veterans' Preference: Does not pertain as per HRML 09-12-05 Staffing Shortage Occupations.If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This is an announcement that will be used for filling GS 6
Advanced Medical Support Assistants for the Portland Healthcare
system. Some of these positions can be filled long term permanent
or on a temporary basis to help with handling the COVID-19
We will issue list of applicants on a weekly basis to the hiring managers to review through the closing date of this announcement.
AMSAs provide administrative support to our clinical colleagues
in the care of our Nation's Veterans. Our mission is to provide
efficient and effective healthcare services by promoting and
enabling the delivery of timely, accurate, accessible health care.
VA Anchorage is committed to cultivating a dedicated workforce of
highly skilled employees who understand, believe in and take pride
in VA's mission. AMSAs are essential to the success of this mission
and may be assigned to many areas of the medical center including
but not limited to any of the following areas: the Business Office,
Primary Care Service, Specialty Clinic, Health Administrative
Duties will include but are not limited to: Determining health care eligibility for Veteran patients.- Administrative processing of Veteran patients in enrollment, benefits, and registration.- Counseling Veteran patients regarding entitlement enrollment for health care benefits and other special programs.- Obtaining essential information and documentation from Veteran patients for enrollment activities.- Performing scheduling functions for Veteran patients including appointments, cancellations, and re-scheduling.- Facilitating communication between Veterans and other facility consult departments.- Support of inpatient units and wards with administrative duties during day, evening, night, and weekend shifts.- Processing and record keeping of inpatient medical records.- Manual and electronic data entry.- Collation of statistical information.- Entry of Physician orders and consult requests.- Prepares Veteran patient statistics.-Providing reception to incoming and outgoing customers and communication.- Utilizes Microsoft Office software to compile data and formulate reports.
Work Schedule: Multiple positions available with multiple schedules to include: Weekdays & Weekends, All Shifts to include Day, Evening, and Night. *Available shifts will be discussed during the interview process. Positions can be filled on a full time or part time basis.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
- The public
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.